POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! : Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:17:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPod / Music Industry / J-pop / Gripe!
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Jun 2009 13:42:09
Message: <4a280771@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> Does that mean a W2K user has free pass to patch the
> XP version to bypass installation/registration?

I think it does, in the USA, yes. You're allowed to make modifications to
something to get around compatibility problems.

> Likewise, a music vendor may
> only release a track on CD audio. Does that mean others have free pass to
> convert it to MP3 to play on their MP3 players?

I think it does, in the USA, for the same reason as above.

> Shouldn't it be respected nonetheless?

No. First Sale doctrine says that when you buy it, it's yours to do with as
you like. In particular, you're not allowed to stop me from taking it to a
different country and selling it for more. The "you're not allowed to buy
it" is an attempt to get around that right, as is region-code locking.

It's a global market. People have to learn to suck it up.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)